- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cooking Time: 2+ hours
- Servings: 4
A lower carb but still incredibly tasty version of cottage pie. The bone broth, swede and carrots pack in even more nutrients and goodness.
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 celery stalks
- 600g beef mince
- 500ml Take Stock Beef Bone Broth
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 small swede, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- Heat a glug of olive oil in a large, heavy based pan and saute the onions till soft and slightly caramelised.
- Add the celery and garlic and gently fry for another couple of minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan then turn up the heat and add a bit more oil. Add the mince and brown all over, being sure to break it up in the pan with a fork.
- Add your tomato puree and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the flour and cook for another minute.
- Add your Take Stock Beef Bone Broth, mixed herbs, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and some seasoning, return the onion mixture to the pan and simmer gently for a minimum of 45 minutes. The longer you can simmer the more intense the flavour!
- Meanwhile bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the swede and carrots. Simmer for around 20 minutes or until soft.
- Once cooked drain and mash with lots of salt and pepper and the butter.
- Tip your beef mixture into a baking dish and when slightly cooled top with the mashed carrot and swede.
- Bake in a preheated oven (180𝇈C) for around 30 minutes until the top is golden brown.